Simple Braised Kale with Apples & Almonds
4 cups trimmed and roughly chopped kale
1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 small apple, diced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
1-2 pinches salt
1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped for garnish
1. Rinse kale and do not dry.
2. Heat olive oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown around the edges. Add red wine vinegar to deglaze the pot.
3. Add kale to pot and stir. Add 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally.
4. Add spices, stirring to evenly combine.
5. Add diced apple. Continue to cook, stirring frequently. Cook until all kale is wilted and all liquid is absorbed.
6. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with chopped almonds.
**This side dish would make a beautiful bed for chicken or fish with a side of sweet potatoes!